Hida-Takayama's attractions include the beauty of nature and the vestiges of streetscapes that still remain from olden times when it was a bustling castle town. With its many cultural treasures such as traditional festivals and buildings, Hida-Takayama is a popular spot for overseas and domestic tourists alike.
The streetscapes of central Takayama have been preserved beautifully from the past. Full of character, they possess the perfect atmosphere for strolling dressed in kimono. The Hida-Takayama Kimono Walk, an event where people walk Takayama's beautiful streets wearing kimono and kamishimo (samurai dress) is held from September through October.
It costs JPY 2,000 to participate for two hours, and this fee includes both kimono rental and assistance with putting on the garment. Kamishimo are rented out to men while women get to wear a stylish komon (fine-patterned) kimono. The fee also includes all the accessories needed to wear kimono, so there is absolutely nothing to worry about if wearing Japanese dress is new to you. Kamishimo and kimono are also available for children, allowing the whole family to enjoy a walk dressed in kimono.
One of the perks of the Hida-Takayama Kimono Walk is the pass that is lent out to participants. This allows entry to 21 sightseeing spots in Takayama City free of charge or with a discount. Participants also receive a delightful souvenir photograph that will make them think they have done a time slip to olden-day Japan.
As there is no need for advance bookings to participate in the event, how about giving it a try sometime?
Hida Takayama Kimono Sampo: Outline
- Event dates: Every Saturday, Sunday, and national holiday from Saturday September 12th to Sunday November 1st and during the Takayama Festival (October 9th and 10th)
- Event times: Reception takes place all day from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Participation fees: 2,000 JPY/person/hour (additional 500 JPY for every additional 30 minutes)
- Reception location: Hida-Takayama Tourism and Convention Bureau (1-2 Honmachi)
- Telephone number: 0577-36-1011 Hida-Takayama Tourism and Convention Bureau (1-2 Honmachi)
- Advance bookings: not required. Please visit the reception location directly on the day.
- Access: 12 minutes' walk from JR Takayama Station
*Kimono and kamishimo quantities are limited. If you wish to participate as a large group, please contact the Hida-Takayama Tourism and Convention Bureau in advance.